Pike Road Branch Library’s Summer Library Reading Challenge and Activities for 2018
Summer Reading Challenge – The Challenge Begins Monday, June 4.
For Picture Book Readers: For every five books read by a child in the “I Can Read All By Myself” category or read to a child by a grown-up in the “My Grown-up Reads to Me” category, readers may earn one treasure from Cap’n Matt’s treasure chest. The reader in each category who has enjoyed the most books by the end of the program will receive a Books-A-Million gift card courtesy of the Friends of the Pike Road Branch Library. Readers may begin recording titles on their reading logs on June 4. Reading logs must be turned in by 6 p.m. on Tuesday, July 10. The top readers in each category will be announced at our final summer event on Tuesday, July 17 at 3 p.m.
For Chapter Book Readers: For the Chapter Book Challenge, kids will record the number of pages read instead of the number of books. Once a reader finishes a book, he or she will record the title and total number of pages in the book on the reading log. Grown-ups must verify the number of pages read by initialing the page counts for each book on the child’s reading log. We will have three categories:
- Rising Third Graders through Rising Fifth Graders
- Rising Sixth Graders through Rising Eighth Graders
- Rising Ninth Graders through Rising Twelfth Graders
The top reader in each category will be determined by total pages read and will receive a Books-A-Million gift card courtesy of the Friends of the Pike Road Branch Library. Readers may begin recording titles on their reading logs on June 4. Reading logs must be turned in by 6 p.m. on Tuesday, July 10. The top readers in each category will be announced at our final summer event on Tuesday, July 17 at 3 p.m.
Please note that a child should only sign up for one reading challenge at one MCCPL location.
Summer Activities at Pike Road Branch Library
Summer Events for age 5 and up – Tuesdays at 3 p.m.
- June 5 – The Alabama Department of Archives and History presents “Musicians of Alabama,” featuring activities and artifacts.
- June 12 – Magician and puppeteer Tommy Johns returns with The Slightly Off-beat Musical Magic Show. Tommy Johns appears courtesy of the Friends of the Pike Road Branch Library.
- June 19 –Mark Seymour and son will rock the library with their Be at Your Best music show.
- June 26 – Dr. Magical Balloons combines his two great loves – balloons and music– for this year’s Fun Time Balloon Show. Please note that Dr. Magical Balloons will not be able to make balloon creations for individuals. Dr. Magical Balloons appears courtesy of the Friends of the Pike Road Branch Library.
- July 10 – The Auburn University Southeastern Raptor Center will introduce us to some of the magnificent birds in their care. The Raptor Center appears courtesy of the Friends of the Pike Road Branch Library.
- July 17 – We will bring our Tuesday events to an end with The DIY Magician. He uses upcycled props to make magic and music! We will also announce the top readers in each of our summer reading challenge categories.
LEGO™ and Mega Bloks™ Time – Wednesdays at 3 p.m.
- Each week, builders (age 5 and up) will face a new challenge and create something awesome using the library’s collection of LEGO™ bricks. Meanwhile, our younger builders will create using the library’s Mega Blok™ collection.
Storybook Time for Age 3 through 6 – Mondays at 10:30 a.m. and 3 p.m.
- At Storybook Time, we sing a few songs, read one or two picture books and make a craft.
Toddler Time for Age 1 through 3 – Wednesdays at 10 a.m.
- At Toddler Time, we sing songs, recite nursery rhymes and read one story each week.
- Book Maniacs – Our book club for kids in third grade and up continues throughout the summer.
- Pike Road Bookies – Our adult book club continues throughout the summer.
Check our Facebook page or join our email list for updates about book clubs.