Pike Road Branch Library’s April 2019 Programs
*Special Event: The Friends of the Pike Road Branch Library present Jeff Barganier, local author of The Crooked Tree and The Slash Brokers. – Thursday, April 18 at 10 a.m.
Local author Jeff Barganier will discuss his books and his travels.
Storybook Time – for age three and up – Mondays at 10:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m.
At Storybook Time, we sing a few songs, read one or two picture books and make a craft. We will read the same books at 10:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. Here is what we have planned for this month:
- April 1 – It’s April Fool’s Day, but we’re not going to play any tricks on anyone. Instead, we’ll celebrate the joy of silliness when we read Silly Tilly by Eileen Spinelli and David Slonim.
- April 8 – Happy National Library Week! It’s the annual event that allows us usually reserved librarians to toot our own horns for a few days. Our theme this year is “Libraries = Strong Communities.” Miss Wonderly, the librarian in today’s story, unites her community at a tea for all of the storybook characters that live nearby. We’ll see what happens when the legendary Big Bad Wolf is invited to the party in Mind Your Manners, B.B. Wolf by Judy Sierra and J. Otto Seibold.
- April 15 – Finally, Turkey has come back to Storybook Time! Our favorite master of disguise really wants to win the Easter egg hunt, but animals aren’t allowed to enter. Well, animals aren’t supposed to trick or treat either, but that didn’t stop him from getting candy. We’ll witness his magnificent cosplay in Turkey’s Eggcellent Easter by Wendi Silvano and Lee Harper.
- April 22 – Today is Earth Day and Arbor Day is coming up this Friday. We’ll appreciate nature when we read The Searcher and Old Tree by David McPhail. In this story, a raccoon takes refuge in a tree each day when he is done scavenging. Little does he know how the tree protects him while he sleeps.
- April 29 – We’ll put a coda on April’s Storybook Times when we visit with another silly character. Emily is a very serious girl, so she is vexed when Duck keeps acting silly. Will Emily ever have a change of heart? Anything could happen (and probably will) in Ducks Don’t Wear Socks by John Nedwidek and Lee White.
Toddler Time – for age two and under – Wednesdays at 10 a.m.
At Toddler Time, we sing songs, recite nursery rhymes and read one story each week. The dates will be:
- April 3
- April 10
- April 17
- April 24
Book Maniacs – for children in third grade and up –On Wednesday, April 10 at 4:15 p.m., the Maniacs will discuss Wings of Fire: The Dragonet Prophecy by Tui T. Sutherland.
Publisher’s Summary – The seven dragon tribes have been at war for generations, locked in an endless battle over an ancient, lost treasure. A secret movement called the Talons of Peace is determined to bring an end to the fighting, with the help of a prophecy — a foretelling that calls for great sacrifice. Five dragonets are collected to fulfill the prophecy, raised in a hidden cave and enlisted, against their will, to end the terrible war. But not every dragonet wants a destiny. And when the select five escape their underground captors to look for their original homes, what has been unleashed on the dragon world may be far more than the revolutionary planners intended.
Bookies – The Pike Road Bookies meet on the third Thursday of each month, except December. –On Thursday, April 18 at 9:15 a.m., they will discuss The Glass Ocean by Beatriz Williams, Lauren Willig and Karen White.
Publisher’s Summary – From the New York Times bestselling authors of The Forgotten Room comes a captivating historical mystery, infused with romance, that links the lives of three women across a century–two deep in the past, one in the present–to the doomed passenger liner, RMS Lusitania.
9585 Vaughn Road, Pike Road, AL 36064 – Phone: 244-8679 facebook.com/pikeroadbranchlibrary