Pike Road Branch Library’s October 2018 Programs
Storybook Time – for age three and up – Mondays at 10:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m.
At Storybook Time, we sing a few songs, read one or two picture books and make a craft. We will read the same books at 10:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Here is what we have planned for this month:
- October 1 – Great news – it’s Homemade Cookies Day! We’ll mark the occasion by reading one of Mister Matt’s favorite books, Mmm, Cookies! By Robert Munsch and Michael Martchenko.
- October 8 – We will not have Storybook Time today because the library will be closed in observance of Columbus Day.
- October 15 – The Farm/City Festival takes place on Bartlett Ranch in Pike Road next Monday, October 22, from 4 p.m. until 6 p.m. We’ll prepare for this annual tradition with The Great Goat Chase by Tony Bonning and Sally Hobson. It’s the story of what happens when goats get loose in Mr. Farmer’s turnip patch and the other animals pitch in to get them back in their pasture. It does not go well.
- October 22 – Turkey and his friends want some candy, but only kids get candy on Halloween, right? Perhaps some clever disguises will work. We’ll see if they do when we read Turkey Trick or Treat by Wendi Silvano and Lee Harper.
- October 29 – Halloween is just hours away! A witch wants to make pumpkin pie, but the pumpkin is so big that she can’t free it from its vine. Can a vampire, a mummy and a ghost get that pumpkin for her? They’ll try in Big Pumpkin by Erica Silverman and S.D. Schindler.
Toddler Time – for age one through three – Wednesdays at 10 a.m.
At Toddler Time, we sing songs, recite nursery rhymes and read one story each week. The dates will be:
- October 3
- October 10
- October 17
- October 24
- October 31
Book Maniacs – for children in third grade and up –On Wednesday, October 10 at 4:15 p.m., the Maniacs will discuss Path of Beasts by Lian Tanner.
Publisher’s Summary – The city of Jewel is in peril once again, as it is held captive by the frightful Fugleman, his band of Blessed Guardians, and an army of merciless mercenaries. There’s no doubt that Goldie and Toadspit want to get their city back, but how can a small group of children fight against such overwhelming forces of evil? And how, as Goldie is determined, can they avoid bloodshed in a war that will set thieves against soldiers, and trickery and deception against a mighty cannon that shoots cannonballs bent on destruction? As Toadspit fights the Fugleman in a duel to the death, Goldie must face her hardest task yet. If she is to save the city, she must walk the mysterious Beast Road, deep inside the Museum of Thieves. No one knows where it goes and no one has ever returned from it.
Bookies – The Pike Road Bookies meet on the third Thursday of each month, except December. –On Thursday, October 18 at 11:15 a.m., they will discuss Before We Were Yours by Lisa Wingate.
Publisher’s Summary – Memphis, 1939. Twelve-year-old Rill Foss and her four younger siblings live a magical life aboard their family’s Mississippi River shantyboat. But when their father must rush their mother to the hospital one stormy night, Rill is left in charge—until strangers arrive in force. Wrenched from all that is familiar and thrown into a Tennessee Children’s Home Society orphanage, the Foss children are assured that they will soon be returned to their parents—but they quickly realize the dark truth. At the mercy of the facility’s cruel director, Rill fights to keep her sisters and brother together in a world of danger and uncertainty. Aiken, South Carolina, present day. Born into wealth and privilege, Avery Stafford seems to have it all: a successful career as a federal prosecutor, a handsome fiancé, and a lavish wedding on the horizon. But when Avery returns home to help her father weather a health crisis, a chance encounter leaves her with uncomfortable questions and compels her to take a journey through her family’s long-hidden history, on a path that will ultimately lead either to devastation or to redemption.
9585 Vaughn Road, Pike Road, AL 36064 – Phone: 244-8679 facebook.com/pikeroadbranchlibrary