Pike Road Branch Library’s October 2017 Programs
Friends of the Pike Road Branch Library Meeting
On Thursday, October 19 at 10 a.m., the Friends of the Pike Road Branch Library hold their monthly meeting to discuss how they support the library. Please join them!
Storybook Time – for age three through six – Mondays at 10:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.
At Storybook Time, we sing a few songs, read one or two picture books and make a craft. We will read the same books at 10:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Here is what we have planned for this month:
- October 2 – Nanette’s mom sends her to the bakery to buy a baguette. It smells wonderful! Can Nanette resist eating it on the way home? (Not a chance.) We’ll witness poor Nanette’s plight in Nanette’s Baguette by Mo Willems.
- October 9 – The library will be closed in observance of Columbus Day.
- October 16 – It’s Farm/City Festival day at the Bartlett Ranch in Pike Road, which means we will NOT have a 4:30 p.m. session of Storybook Time today because we want you to go to the Farm/City Festival instead. However, the 10:30 a.m. session will carry on with some farm-themed stories including Mrs. Wishy-Washy’s Farm by Joy Cowley and Elizabeth Fuller.
- October 23 – It’s almost Halloween, which is Mister Matt’s favorite holiday. That’s why we’ll start observing Halloween a bit early this week by pretending to be monsters when we read If You’re a Monster and You Know It by Rebecca and Ed Emberley.
- October 30 – It’s Halloween Eve! We’ll enjoy some not-so-spooky stories including Big Pumpkin by Erica Silverman and S.D. Schindler.
Toddler Time – for age one through three – Wednesdays at 10 a.m.
At Toddler Time, we sing songs, recite nursery rhymes and read one story each week. The dates will be:
- October 4
- October 11
- October 18
- October 25
Book Maniaks – for children in third grade and up –On Wednesday, October 11 at 4:15 p.m., the Maniaks will discuss The Last Battle by C.S. Lewis.
Publisher’s Summary – During the last days of Narnia, the land faces its fiercest challenge—not an invader from without but an enemy from within. Lies and treachery have taken root, and only the king and a small band of loyal followers can prevent the destruction of all they hold dear in this, the magnificent ending to The Chronicles of Narnia.
Bookies – The Pike Road Bookies meet on the third Thursday of each month, except December. –On Thursday, October 19 at 11:15 a.m., they will discuss First Women by Kate Anderson Brower.
Publisher’s Summary – One of the most underestimated—and challenging—positions in the world, the First Lady of the United States must be many things: an inspiring leader with a forward-thinking agenda of her own; a savvy politician, skilled at navigating the treacherous rapids of Washington; a wife and mother operating under constant scrutiny; and an able CEO responsible for the smooth operation of countless services and special events at the White House. Now, as she did in her smash #1 bestseller The Residence, former White House correspondent Kate Andersen Brower draws on a wide array of untapped, candid sources—from residence staff and social secretaries to friends and political advisers—to tell the stories of the ten remarkable women who have defined that role since 1960.
9585 Vaughn Road, Pike Road, AL 36064 – Phone: 244-8679 facebook.com/pikeroadbranchlibrary