Pike Road Branch Library’s August 2017 Programs
Storybook Time – for age 3 through 6 – Mondays at 10:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.
At Storybook Time, we sing a few songs, read two or more picture books and make a craft. We will read the same books at 10:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Here is what we have planned for this month:
- August 7 – School starts next week! Did you know that pirates go to school? We’ll find out what they do during an average school day when we read Pirates Go to School by Corinne Demas and John Manders.
- August 14 – The solar eclipse is happening next Monday. To get ready for it, we will read some books about the moon, including Papa, Please Get the Moon for Me by Eric Carle.
- August 21 – Today is solar eclipse day and all eyes will be on the sky this afternoon. Since we are casting our gaze to the heavens, we will read some stories about characters that have traveled in space including Mousetronaut by Mark Kelly and C.F. Payne.
- August 28 – Mo Willems may not be making Elephant and Piggie books any more, but Gerald and Piggie still want you to read. We’ll enjoy one of their “Elephant and Piggie Presents” books today. It’s called Elephant and Piggie Like Reading!: The Cookie Fiasco by Mo Willems.
Toddler Time – for age 1 through 3 – Wednesdays at 10 a.m.
At Toddler Time, we sing songs, recite nursery rhymes and read one story each week. The dates will be:
- August 2
- August 9
- August 16
- August 23
- August 30
Book ManiaKs – for children in 3rd grade and up –On Wednesday, August 17 at 4:15 p.m., the ManiaKs will discuss The Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C.S. Lewis.
- Publisher’s Summary – Narnia . . . where a dragon awakens . . . where stars walk the earth . . . where anything can happen. A king and some unexpected companions embark on a voyage that will take them beyond all known lands. As they sail farther and farther from charted waters, they discover that their quest is more than they imagined and that the world’s end is only the beginning.
Bookies – The Pike Road Bookies meet on the third Thursday of each month, except December. –On Thursday, August 17 at 11:15 a.m., they will discuss Aquarium by David Vann.
- Publisher’s Summary – Living in Seattle with her mother, who works at the docks, 12-year-old Caitlin visits the aquarium to lose herself in the shimmering gorgeousness of the fish. There, she befriends an old man, and a troubling family secret emerges.
Friends of the Pike Road Branch Library Annual Business Meeting
- On Thursday, August 17 at 10 a.m., the Friends of the Pike Road Branch Library will hold their annual business meeting during which they will elect officers for the new business year and discuss how they support library programs and materials.9585 Vaughn Road, Pike Road, AL 36064 – Phone: 244-8679 facebook.com/pikeroadbranchlibrary