Pike Road Branch Library’s July 2017 Programs
Special Event – Magic Workshop with Russell Davis – Tuesday, July 11 from 12:30 p.m. to 2 p.m. – PRE-REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED
- Magician Russell Davis will instruct a group of kids how to perform magic tricks. Participation in this workshop is limited to 24 kids, age 10 and up, so pre-registration is required.
Summer Events for age 5 through 10 – Tuesdays at 3 p.m.
- July 11 – Build a Magical World: Russell Davis returns with his magic and comedy show, which is almost as much fun for the adults as it is for the kids.
- July 18 – Build a Sweet World: We will wrap up our big summer events with our annual visit to the chocolate fountain. We will also announce the top readers in each of our summer reading challenge categories.
Brick Clickers – Wednesdays at 3 p.m.
Each week, builders (ages 5 and up) will face a new challenge and create something awesome using the library’s collection of LEGO™ bricks. The dates will be:
- July 5
- July 12
- July 19
- July 26
Storybook Time – for age 3 through 6 – Mondays at 10:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.
At Storybook Time, we sing a few songs, read two or more picture books and make a craft. We will read the same books at 10:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Here is what we have planned for this month:
- July 3 – We will NOT have Storybook Time today.
- July 10 – Holy cow! Tomorrow is Cow Appreciation Day! We’ll read some cow-themed stories including Moo Cow Kaboom! by Thacher Hurd
- July 17 – Patrick visits his granny for the first time and she’s missing some important items he will need during his stay like, say, a bed. Can granny save the day, or night, as the case may be? We’ll find out when we read What! Cried Granny by Kate Lum and Adrian Johnson.
- July 24 – Did you ever really want a pet, but your mom said, “No!”? The little boy in today’s story faces that very dilemma when he asks for a dog to have as a pet. His mom shoots him down, but then he makes a counteroffer – how about a dragon instead? We’ll see who turns out to be The Best Pet of All in this book by David LaRochelle and Hanako Wakiyama.
- July 31 – At the time of his deadline, Mister Matt hadn’t decided what to read for this day. Rest assured, it will be fun.
Toddler Time – for age 1 through 3 – Wednesdays at 10 a.m.
At Toddler Time, we sing songs, recite nursery rhymes and read one story each week. The dates will be:
- July 5
- July 12
- July 19
- July 26
Book ManiaKs – for children in 3rd grade and up –On Thursday, July 13 at 2 p.m., the ManiaKs will discuss Prince Caspian by C.S. Lewis and view the film based on the book.
- Publisher’s Summary – The Pevensie siblings travel back to Narnia to help a prince denied his rightful throne as he gathers an army in a desperate attempt to rid his land of a false king. But in the end, it is a battle of honor between two men alone that will decide the fate of an entire world.
Bookies – The Pike Road Bookies meet on the third Thursday of each month, except December. –On Thursday, July 20 at 11:15 a.m., they will discuss Old Money by Bobby Cole.
- Publisher’s Summary – Jake Crosby has traded in a stockbroker’s suit and tie for a standard-issue uniform. As a newly minted Mississippi game warden, he has two tough cases to cut his teeth on—the ongoing robbery of wealthy hunters and the ruthless search for a rumored hidden fortune. According to local gossip, several million dollars have been missing since the conviction of local conman Bronson Bolivar, and following his death in prison, his two grown children have torn his property apart looking for the funds. As Jake searches for the robber who targets well-to-do outdoorsmen, he finds a trail leading to the Bolivars. But the allure of quick cash also draws unexpected interest from both Bronson’s former cellmate and an upstanding federal judge. Will Jake understand the severity of the situation in time or get caught up in a web of deceit?9585 Vaughn Road, Pike Road, AL 36064 – Phone: 244-8679 facebook.com/pikeroadbranchlibrary