Pike Road Branch Library’s June 2017 Programs
Summer Events for age 5 through 10 – Tuesdays at 3 p.m.
- June 6 – Build a Better World with Water: The Alabama Department of Environmental Management will teach us about water conservation and each child will make a bracelet to remind them of the water cycle.
- June 14 – Build a Better Story: Tommy Johns returns with magic and puppets to teach us how to build a better story. Tommy Johns appears courtesy of the Friends of the Pike Road Branch Library.
- June 20 – Build a Historical World: The Alabama Department of Archives and History presents “Alabama History Highlights,” in which kids will learn about Southeastern Indians, five capitols, cotton, the Civil War, and industries. Each theme will include an activity.
- June 27 – Build a Cleaner World: The Talking Tree from the Montgomery Clean City Commission will teach us how we can help make the world a cleaner place.
Brick Clickers – Wednesdays at 3 p.m.
Each week, builders (ages 5 and up) will face a new challenge and create something awesome using the library’s collection of Lego™ bricks. The dates will be:
- June 7
- June 14
- June 21
- June 28
Storybook Time – for age 3 through 6 – Mondays at 10:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.
At Storybook Time, we sing a few songs, read two or more picture books and make a craft. We will read the same books at 10:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Here is what we have planned for this month:
- June 5 – “Build a Better World” is the theme for this summer’s reading program. We’ll start our summer Storybook Time by taking that theme literally. In Roadwork and Demolition by Sally Sutton and Brian Lovelock, people use skills and equipment to build a road and turn an old building into a very special place.
- June 12 – We’re going to adapt the summer theme to be “Build a Better Bear” today when we read My Best Friend Bear by Tony Johnston and Joy Allen. A little girl’s teddy bear is in dire need of a makeover in this sweet story.
- June 19 – Owl and Rabbit are so focused on building better houses that their desire to have the better home threatens to demolish their friendship. We’ll see if they can work it out when we read Too Tall Houses by Gianna Morino.
- June 26 – We started the month with tales about construction machines and we’ll end the month with the same. We’ll say, “Good night!” to construction equipment when we read Goodnight, Goodnight, Construction Site by Sherri Duskey Rinker and Tom Lichtenheld.
Toddler Time – for age 1 through 3 – Wednesdays at 10 a.m.
At Toddler Time, we sing songs, recite nursery rhymes and read one story each week. The dates will be:
- June 7
- June 14
- June 21
- June 28
Angry Dragons – for children in 3rd grade and up –On Thursday, June 15 at 4:15 p.m., the Dragons will discuss The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis.
- Publisher’s Summary – Four adventurous siblings–Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy Pevensie–step through a wardrobe door and into the land of Narnia, a land frozen in eternal winter and enslaved by the power of the White Witch. But when almost all hope is lost, the return of the Great Lion, Aslan, signals a great change . . . and a great sacrifice.
Angry Dragons Book/Movie Comparison –On Thursday, June 22 at 2:30 p.m., the Dragons will view the film The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe and briefly compare the book and the movie afterwards.
Bookies – The Pike Road Bookies meet on the third Thursday of each month, except December. –On Thursday, June 15 at 11:15 a.m., they will discuss The Summer Before the War by Helen Simonson.
- Publisher’s Summary – In summer 1914, well-bred Beatrice Nash arrives in Rye to become the first female Latin teacher at the local school and soon falls in love with her sponsor’s nephew. All would be golden but for the terrible rumbling of coming war.9585 Vaughn Road, Pike Road, AL 36064 – Phone: 244-8679 facebook.com/pikeroadbranchlibrary